Announcing the revival of the web’s coolest Celtic award: The Finn McCool Award!
These web awards are designed to recognize websites and blogs dedicated to Celtic themes. An ancient people whose history includes both tragedy and triumph, the Celts continue to thrive, not only in places like Brittany, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales, but (as a result of the Celtic diaspora) throughout the world.
Celtic culture includes distinctive forms of music, art, spirituality, dress, dance, literature, and language. It’s a culture to be cherished and celebrated — and this award honors web sites devoted to the Celtic way.
Who was Finn McCool? (coming soon)
The Duilleag lìonraidh mhath icon is designed to recognize web sites meeting the following criteria:
- A significant portion of the site is devoted to an aspect of Celtic culture.
- The site maintains a positive image of the Celtic people, while speaking truthfully about Celtic circumstances, both present and past.
- The site does not advocate racism, sexism, or any other form of prejudice or bigotry. Celebrating the distinctiveness of Celtic culture does not mean denigrating any other race or group! Even the historic enemies of the Celts must be treated honorably, that means with basic human respect. This is especially important with sites that address issues of peace and the troubles in Ireland.
- The site maintains standards of excellence in its design, graphics, text, and presentation — although non-commercial pages do not have to be especially dazzling
in order to be deemed ‘excellent.’
- If the site wishes to display the icon, the site agrees to link it back to this page.
Commercial, organizational, and personal sites are eligible, as are blogs.
How to win the Finn McCool Award
Basically, this is an “honor system” web award. In the spirit of goodwill and hospitality (Celtic traits, for sure) bloggers, webmasters and other Celtic pranksters are trusted to use these graphics only if they truly feel their sites deserve such recognition.All that is asked is that, in exchange for displaying one or both of the award graphics on your site, link the graphic back to http://www.anamchara.com/duilleag/. Also, please post a comment on the bottom of this page to announce that you’re displaying the graphic.Finally, anyone who displays the site needs to be on the lookout for more Celtic themed blogs and websites that deserve to display Finn on their site. If you see such a site, you are hereby requested to bestow the award. Just notify the deserving blogger/webmaster of his or her award, and point them to this page to pick up their prize.Remember, boasting is a Celtic virtue…. If your site celebrates the Celtic spirit, then brag about it!!!
The über-cool Finn McCool Award graphics were designed by
Amanda Fisher of Pixelations.